BREAKING NEWS
latest

Friday, May 4, 2018

Defiance 2050 Beta Review


I just finished playing the Defiance 2050 BETA and am pretty happy with the progress.  For those of you who don't know what Defiance is, let me catch you up.

Defiance is a science fiction-themed persistent world massively multiplayer online third-person shooter developed by Trion Worlds. Defiance takes place on a terraformed Earth several decades into the future. It is a tie-in to the Syfy show of the same name. The game was released in April 2013 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It was also released on Steam. The game went free-to-play on June 4, 2014 for PC, August 14, 2014 for PS3 and November 18, 2014 for Xbox 360.

Then on February 27th 2018, Trion announced the following:

Defiance 2050 is coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC in summer 2018!

We are thrilled to announce the next chapter in the Defiance universe will be coming this summer to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in a massive online sci-fi shooter we’re calling Defiance 2050. Continue the fight through the vast world of Defiance, reimagined for the current generation of gaming hardware.

I loved the TV Show from SyFy that had three seasons (38 episodes) and the show was actually pretty good and I was sad to see it go. (When it was cancelled it was like someone jacked my favorite drink right out of my damn hand!!!!)
The acting on the show was decent and for it being on SyFy it was above average in my opinion.  I liked the game as well on the PC.  So when I heard they were revisiting it I signed up for the BETA and was allowed access.

I rolled up a character and started my adventure.

Xanari was born and I had fun going through similar quests than the one I played before.  Things are pretty close to the same but they obviously made some adjustments to make it easier to jump in and play.

It wasn't long before I started seeing characters from the TV show


And I was back at busting head shots and have to say after playing a lot of FARCRY 5, the aiming and shooting on Defiance is MUCH easier to pull off head shots.

The graphics ran pretty well on my Microsoft Surface Studio and I was a little surprised.  Usually the machine will start heating up but even during Ark Falls with a ton of other players around it handled fine.

The powering up of your secondary skills also seem easier as well.


The other thing which seemed to be retooled a bit was the weapon system and how you can level them up and augment them.  I'm not too sure how it all breaks down but wish there was a comprehensive tutorial section to help explain how thing like that work.


Configuring your load outs are easy enough and seeing what weapons you have equipped is pretty straight forward.  You can have two weapons equipped at any time.  Ammo is always in great supply around you and very rarely do you run out of ammo.  Even during Ark Falls.  There's usually an ammo box nearby.

I'm reserving final scoring until the full release but it's looking promising!



« PREV
NEXT »

2 comments

  1. I loved Defiance. It sucked the show was canceled and the game died out after that. I hope the new one survives along time.

    J.T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah me too! I loved both and have some high hopes. Looks good so far. If they can keep compelling content and maybe further the story where the show left off it'd be a good experience!

      Delete